For people with diabetes, a balanced snack that has protein and fiber-rich carbohydrates can help decrease hunger pains between meals and help reduce blood sugar swings. Here are 5 options for healthy snacks for people with diabetes or prediabetes:
- Greek yogurt with berries: look for a Greek yogurt with at least 10 grams protein per serving and no more than 15 grams carbohydrate per serving, like Chobani Less Sugar.
- Beef stick and 2 to 3 cups popcorn: this hearty snack is perfect for those who want more to eat in a snack. Popcorn is lower in carbohydrates than other salty snacks like pretzels, crackers or chips. These 1st Phorm protein meat sticks come in 4 flavors and have 20 grams of protein. The breakfast sausage flavor makes a great morning meal on the go, paired with an apple and handful of almonds or pistachios.
- Cheese and crackers (done right): 15 Triscuit Thin Crisps with 2 slices cheese and 2 slices reduced sodium deli turkey. Be sure to get the Thin Crisp Triscuits. If you have the regular/square kind, the serving size 6 crackers.
- Veggies and Greek yogurt ranch dip: to make this high protein dip, mix 1 packet of ranch seasoning (like Simply Organic) with 2 cups plain Greek yogurt. Serve 1/2 cup of the mixed dip with your favorite veggies and Harvest Snaps pea crisps.
- Protein cereal: get the recipe here. Choose a cereal with 4 grams fiber or more per serving, like Kashi Warm Cinnamon Oat cereal. For the protein, choose a meal replacement protein, like Level-1, not a post-workout protein.
Get a list of high protein, low carbohydrate foods here to create more snack ideas of your own.